American Craft Week Starts Friday: 4 Things to Come See, Do & Enjoy at the Mountain Made Art Gallery
American Craft Week 2015 (Oct 2-11) begins on Friday!
And the artisans at MOUNTAIN MADE are getting into the spirit with live art demonstrations.
This will be the 6th annual American Craft Week (ACW), a 10-day event which was created to celebrate the skills and artistry of American craftsmen and their work. Once again, Mountain Made will be a proud sponsor of ACW here in Western North Carolina (WNC).
Dozens of places in the Blue Ridge area will be involved in this event celebration either by offering workshops or showcasing the works of local artists and hosting live demonstrations.
What is American Craft Week?
Melinda Knies, owner of Mountain Made says, “American Craft Week is much more than just a way to promote individual artists or small art retailers – it is also a love of handcrafted arts and crafts. And a deep belief in the future American enterprises…”
Mrs. Knies goes on to say, “…The “Made in American” movement is a growing trend of discerning people who want to enrich and beautify their homes and work spaces with locally produced and handcrafted artwork – pieces that reflect both the unique creative designs and the quality of our American craftsmen.”
“Not to mention it’s becoming cool to buy things you know are ‘Made in America’ again!” she said.
“During American Craft Week we will be highlighting David Cook’s beautiful baskets made of “smoke Vine” or Dutchman’s pipe, a native vine that David has been working with for over 20 years.”
Below are the dates and times of the live art demos/activities we recommend that you check out…
* Friday October 2, 2015. Come kick-off ACW by joining in the celebration during the Downtown Asheville Art Walk: Browse the artwork on display while strolling the 10+ urban art galleries found in the heart of Asheville.
Mountain Made will be open from 5:00PM – 8:00PM as well as hosting an interactive art project – open to the public – along with live music and light refreshments.
* Saturday October 3, 2015. Come watch this month’s featured artist David Cook ply his skills in basket weaving. Cook is well-known in the area for his unique smoke-vine baskets. He will be giving a live art demonstration at the Mountain Made gallery from 11:00AM – 4:00PM.
* Thursday October 8, 2015. Ceramic artist Sondra Hastings will be on hand inside the gallery from 11:00AM – 4:00PM, to demonstrate her popular artwork. Hastings is becoming popular for her wonderful “flower-laced” bowls and teapots, as well as her finger-tip meditation plates.
* Friday October 9, 2015. Fiber artist Paige Houghton will be giving a live Q&A session and demonstration of her popular fiber vessels and hanging panels. Houghton will be on hand inside the gallery from 11:00AM – 4:00PM.
“Yes, Helen says David Cook’s baskets are BIG.”
* Saturday October 10, 2015. Finish off ACW by stopping in to watch featured artist David Cook to once again work his magic in basket weaving. Cook’s unique smoke-vine baskets are always popular. He will be presenting the final art demo of ACW at the Mountain Made gallery from 11:00AM – 4:00PM.
We invite you to join us here at the Mountain Made Gallery to see David and our other artists demonstrate how they create these spectacular pieces.
Learn more about other art venues hosting activities > [click banner below]